Richard Polsky provides expert witness services to attorneys handling dog bite cases.
✓ Summary of Qualifications
• Ph.D. in animal behavior, University of Leicester
• 6 yrs. postdoctoral fellow at the University of Birmingham and at the University of California at Los Angeles
• Well-published in peer-reviewed journals
• 30+ yrs. private practice as an animal behaviorist in Los Angeles, CA.
• Certification: International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants
• 25+ years experience as an expert witness in both criminal & civil matters
✓ Assignments in civil cases
- The number of occasions retained as an animal behavior expert witness in civil matters: Over 300.
- The number of occasions retained as a cat behavior expert in civil matters: Approx. 7.
- The number of occasions retained as a dog behavior expert in criminal matters: Approx. 20.
- The division between work for Plaintiff vs. Defense: 50% plaintiff, 50% defense
- Number of times testifying in Deposition: Over 75
- The number of times testifying at trial: Approx. 50.
- Counties in California where deposition or trial testimony has been given (partial listing): Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, Orange, Ventura, Kern, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, Alameda, Fresno, Merced, Sacramento, San Mateo, Tuolumne.
- States outside California where deposition or trial testimony has been given: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Texas, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Michigan, Virginia, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kansas, Washington, Idaho, British Columbia and Ontario Canada.
✓ Assignments In Criminal Cases (partial listing)
- 1999. State of California v. Carter. Case # KA 044228. Pomona Division, Los Angeles Superior Court
- 1999. State of California v. Corral. Case # PA 029842. San Fernando Division, Los Angeles Superior Court
- 2000. State of South Carolina v. Speagle. Case # F-945152. Fairfield County, South Carolina
- 2000. State of California v. Graham. Case # SA 038179 Los Angeles Division, Los Angeles Superior Court
- 2000. State of California v. Gomez Case # KA 046685 Pomona Division, Los Angeles Superior Court
- 2000. State of California v. Bates. Case # BA 205430 Los Angeles Division, Los Angeles Superior Court
- 2001. People v. Robert Noel. Case # SCN 181813-2. Superior Court of California, County of San Francisco
- 2008. People v. Moody. Orange County Superior Court (CA), Westminister Division.
✓ Assignments In Police Dog Lawsuits
- The number of occasions retained by plaintiff counsel: Approx. 7
- The number of occasions retained by defense counsel: 1
- The number of occasions qualified in court as an expert on police dog behavior: 5 (approx)
Attorneys, please contact Dr. Polsky using the contact form on this website. Dr. Polsky’s curriculum vitae can be found here and read testimonials from other attorneys Dr. Polsky has served in the capacity of an animal behavior expert witness.
Updated April 2018