Septicaemia, a term referring to the presence of pathogenic organisms in the blood-stream, more commonly known as blood poisoning, may have been the cause of death for 33 year old man in Northern England.
The victim was attacked by a pit bull on his way to work: the dog jaws locked onto the arm of the victim. Several days later, an abscess developed on the victim’s arm, accompanied by flulike symptoms.
The victim was admitted to hospital but died shortly thereafter. According to the victim’s wife, the abscess likely led to the fatal onset of septicaemia.
Information about this incident was collected from the story appearing online in the February 12, 2009 issue of The Northern Echo.