California dog bite expert witness Richard Polsky, Ph.D. provides insights and commentary on dog bite news from an animal behavior perspective.
- City of Santa Monica, California settles dog bite case for $325,000. An attack by a pit bull named monster on a seven-year-old boy resulted in a $325,000 settlement between the city and the plaintiffs in this case. Santa Monica city formally had a regulation stating that all pit bulls needed to be muzzled when taken into public, but this ordinance was not applicable the time of the attack because of a California ruling stating that regulations controlling dogs in the state could not be breed-specific. Read more
- Dog bite statistics for San Diego California, 2011-2012. Dog bite statistics between July 01, 2011-June 30, 2012 for San Diego County indicate that there were nearly 3000 reported dog bites on humans. Pit bull type dogs were involved in approximately 13.5% of these dog bite attacks. Read more
- $982,000 verdict against landlord for negligence in dog knock-down case. A jury in Los Angeles awarded a postal worker nearly $1 million as a result of being attacked by a German Shepherd. The landlord was negligent because of the broken latch on the gate. Read more
- Murder charges filed against a 32-year-old man in connection with a fatal dog attack in, Little Rock, California. A 32-year-old man was arrested and charged with second-degree murder in connection with the May 8, 2013 fatal dog attack on 63 year old Pamela Devitt in Little Rock, California. Devitt was mauled to death by four pit bull terriers during a morning walk near her home. Read more
- How does animal behavior expert opinion applied to dog bite law in California and Arizona? California and Arizona have strict liability laws for dog bites. Attorneys would benefit from an understanding of how animal behavior expert opinion might be used to support or reject strict liability dog bite law. Successful recovery for the plaintiff may be contingent on establishing one or more of the following …. Read more
- Why the high frequency of fatal dog attacks in Southern California? First, large sections consist of desert-like conditions in which packs of dogs are frequently found roaming. In many parts of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties … Read more
More dog bite news relevant to California
- Can a Pomeranian inflict a fatal dog bite?
Hard to believe incident but a Pomeranian hopped into the bassinet of the newborn and inflicted a fatal dog bite wound. Another fatal dog attack in which the caretaker momentarily left the infant alone.
- Siberian husky dog bite to 10 y.o. at school bus stop in California
Children waiting for the school bus were attacked by a pair of Siberian Huskies which escaped from a nearby property.
- Reconstruction of a German Shepherd dog bite attack
This was a dog bite incident in the Bay Area where the FedEx delivery person was attacked by the resident German Shepherd. Reconstruction of the incident through doubt on the version given by the defendant.
- Provocation by an intoxicated lady in a dog bite lawsuit in San Diego? will
Arguing that the plaintiff provoked the dog to bite because of the plaintiff’s intoxicated state can be used to support the argument of comparative fault in strict liability states like California.
- Excessive force police dog bite lawsuit settles for $145,000
This is an example of a lawsuit in which a police canine was not controlled by his handler thereby resulting in a claim of excessive force.
- San Francisco dog bite statistics
Dog bite statistics specific to the city by the Bay
- Dog Whisperer sued for negligence in dog bite attack in California
A lawsuit brought against Cesar Milan due to the way he handled a dog brought into his facility in Los Angeles for training.
- California dog bites fatalities update, 2015
With the exception of Texas, more dog bite fatalities happened in California than in any other state in the USA. Read about several fatal dog bites that it happened in California in 2015.
- Retired police K-9 viciously attacked good Samaritan in California
This is one of many examples in which an innocent bystander being attacked by an out of control police K9
- Pit bulls seized from fighting rings in California not necessarily vicious
- Expert advice for dangerous dog hearing for Akita in Los Angeles
- Dog bite info and statistics for Lake County, California
Lake County California is a rural and economically depressed county in California and home to marijuana growers who may use dogs to protect their crops.
- How does animal behavior expert opinion apply to dog bite law in California & Arizona?
- Vicious pit bull mauling captured on video in California
- Expert opinion about vicious pit bull mauling in California
- Foreseeability and punitive damages in a California dog bite lawsuit
Other websites reporting new stories about California dog bites:
- California leads the nation in dog bite claims according to State Farm insurance
- Dog bite law in California
- Dog bite statistics for Sacramento California
- Dog bite-related emergency room visits in California
- Man saves a child from a dog attack in California
California dog bite expert, Richard Polsky, PhD welcomes inquiries from California attorneys involved in dog bite litigation. Dr. Polsky provides expert witness services nationwide.